CHS Students Compete at Art Contest

By: Sarah Dell, Contributing Writer

Two CHS students recently placed at the Columbia College high school art show.

Audrey Seider, CHS junior, placed first with her handmade book entitled Será, with watercolor and gelatin print pages. Madeline Bostick placed third with From the Abyss, a mixed media book.

Madeline Bostick (left) and Audrey Seider (right)

Seider’s project took about two months to complete. She said the hardest part to finish was the gelatin print. She had to practice a long time to get the print exactly the way she wanted it. She was inspired by the phrase “Que será, será,” which is translated as “Whatever will be, will be,” in Spanish and is a song by Doris Day. The most unique part of Seider’s project is the 3D moon. She said it is unique because it was the most challenging piece of art she had to create for the whole project. She is pleased with her final project.  “I really like my watercolor animals. They took a long time, but I love them,” Seider said.

Bostick’s project took around two weeks to complete. The hardest part of her project was figuring out what subject to do and what scenery to create. Her desire to portray her love of knowledge motivated her to complete this piece. “I wanted to portray my love of knowledge and found that knowledge comes in many forms. With this particular piece, I made two other books that do not really have the traditional book format. This book is a part of my senior portfolio, and my portfolio incorporates very personal aspects.” Bostick believes the most unique part of her project is that it is a handmade tunnel book.A tunnel book uses many layers to bring some subjects closer to the viewer and present an optical illusion. She is most proud of her decision to include the last line of A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens in her book.

Both Bostick and Seider worked very hard to place at the contest. Rachel Renaud, CHS art instructor, is very proud of her students and what they have accomplished. “CHS art students excel at the art of handmade books. They push the boundaries of what a book is and can be,” said Renaud.

By: Audrey Seider

By: Madeline Bostick (front view)