FFA November/December SAE Spotlight: Brooke Schnarre

By: Mary Kate Sullivan, Contributing Writer

The Centralia High School FFA advisers selected junior Brooke Schnarre for the November/December Supervised Agricultural Experience spotlight. Schnarre is the daughter of Darin and Christy Schnarre, and she is involved in varsity cheerleading, orchestra, National Honor Society and FFA.  

Schnarre restores antique tractors for part of her SAE. She chose this activity because she has always loved working with tractors on her farm. The most difficult part of her SAE is finding all of the necessary parts to do the restorations since the tractors are old and rare and manufacturers do not make most of the parts anymore.

Some of Schnarre’s goals include continuing to restore tractors, educating others on the experiences of tractor restoration and showing people her accomplishments by simply attending a variety of tractor shows.

Schnarre has experienced success with her SAE. She said, “I had grand champion independent project at the Boone County Fair, and I was able to be part of the show Classic Tractor Fever. This has been my favorite part of this SAE. I was asked by the producers of the show to be filmed and have my tractor be featured in their next season, which is called History in Motion.”

FFA has helped Schnarre become comfortable with public speaking. This skill helped her feel comfortable when being interviewed for the show. “When I was being interviewed for the show Classic Tractor Fever, I was able to speak without hesitation when being asked questions about my tractor,” she said.  

The goal of an SAE is to work with classroom curriculum in compliance with FFA to better prepare students for future careers. While an SAE specifically focuses on agricultural experiences, the skills students learn are easily transferable to any career field.

In the future, Schnarre plans to attend Oklahoma State University and become an agricultural educator.