Freeman Signs with Truman University

By: Madi Taylor, Contributing Writer

On October 30, 2017, Jaymi Freeman, CHS senior, signed with Truman State University to play college softball.

Freeman felt like Truman was a good fit for her. She said, “I love the family environment and the opportunities Truman will give me to grow as a student and an athlete. It was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. Truman is a Division II school with great academics. I am super excited to continue my academic and athletic career and make myself a better person and athlete.”

Freeman has been playing softball since she was six years old. “My cousin played baseball and I looked up to him a lot, so that influenced me to start playing. I would always play with him in the yard at grandma’s house,” said Freeman. She said it has always been her goal to play college softball. “Ever since I was 9 years old and I went to my first Mizzou softball game, I knew,” Freeman said.  

Freeman has also played basketball and runs track during high school. She has also played for numerous softball travel teams over the years: Missouri Stealth, Rockers and Mid-Missouri Travelers.  

When Freeman first found out she had the opportunity to play for Truman, she was really happy. “I found out that I had the opportunity to play for Truman when I went on an unofficial visit in July. I was very excited because it was my first offer. I verbally committed on October 30, 2017,” she said.

Freeman’s parents are Jay Freeman and Michelle Schmidt.