Parents as Teachers is a parent education and support program for families with children from birth to Kindergarten entry, as well as expectant parents. It is designed to help you as a parent support your child’s learning, growth and development to realize his/her full potential.
Any family in the Centralia R-6 school district can take advantage of these services for FREE:
- Annual health/hearing/vision and developmental screenings for children age 3 months to 5 years
- Group Connections
- Resource information
- Access to our Lend and Learn library
Families can also take part in personalized home visits with a certified parent educator. Parents work with their educator to set and reach goals for their child and family, discuss a variety of child development and parenting topics, and share a parent-child activity chosen especially for their family.
Parents as Teachers Vision:
All children will learn, grow and develop to realize their full potential.
Parents as Teachers Mission:
Parents as Teachers promotes the optimal early development, learning and health of children by supporting and engaging their parents and caregivers.
Parents as Teachers Core Values:
- The early years of a child’s life are critical for optimal development and provide the foundation for success in school and in life.
- Parents are their children’s first and most influential teachers.
- Established and emerging research should be the foundation of parent education and family support curricula, training, materials and services.
- All young children and their families deserve the same opportunities to succeed, regardless of any demographic, geographic or economic considerations.
- An understanding and appreciation of the history and traditions of diverse cultures is essential in serving families
As stated in the Parents as Teachers Foundational Curriculum